Skip to main content Skip to navigation
College of Arts and Sciences For Students

Certifying in Your Major

Certification is an administrative process that officially designates your chosen field of study and the degree you will receive. It is a requirement for graduation that can be completed once you have earned a minimum of 24 semester credit hours and met the program’s prerequisites. See the WSU Catalog or contact your advisor for more information.

How do I certify?

The process is simple: contact the departmental office for your chosen program and request a Certification of Major form. You will need to provide your name, your WSU identification number, and your intended major and option, if applicable (e.g., biology major with the pre-physical therapy option).

Why should I certify?

  • Certification is required in order to receive your degree.
  • In some high-demand programs, upper-division courses are only open to certified majors.
  • Departments may offer additional scholarship opportunities for certified students.
  • If you do not already have a faculty mentor in the discipline, you will be assigned to a corresponding advisor who can help you design a program of studies to match your interests.

What if I change my mind?

Most of the time, changing majors is also a relatively simple process. You can complete a Change of Major form and submit it for department, program, or school approval as appropriate, just like the certification form. Your current advisor and his or her counterpart can help you make the transition.

What if I just want to change my area of interest?

Dedicated advisors are available to guide you through selecting a primary academic area that matches your interests and strengths. If you have less than 30 WSU credits, contact one of the Major Exploration advisors for information. If you have 30 credits or more, contact advisors at the Academic Success and Career Center.

Cougar spirit logo