Research and Lab Safety

Numerous WSU programs, policies, and offices are available to help you assess hazards and develop protocols to improve safety in laboratory and scientific research environments.

Safety Policies and Procedures (SPPM)
The WSU Safety Policies and Procedures Manual is the primary source of overall safety and health information, directives, policies, and regulations for the University community.

EH&S Laboratory Safety Manual
A tool to assist responsible parties with developing laboratory-specific chemical hygiene plans and related laboratory safety programs.

Office of Research Assurances (ORA)
Oversees the IBC, IRB, IACUC, and RSO to foster responsible research practices and ensure investigations comply with federal and state regulations as well as University policy.

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
The IACUC reviews all WSU research and teaching activities involving live vertebrate animals, and ensures all vertebrate animals involved in teaching or research at the University receive ethical and humane care and treatment. Learn about required training and notifications.

Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
The IBC reviews and approves many areas of biologically related activities which may include research, teaching, diagnostic, and extension activities. Learn more about what types of activities require review and approval.

Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Together with the Human Research Protection Program, IRB safeguards the rights and welfare of human participants involved in research, and ensures federal ethical standards are met.

Office of Radiation Safety (RSO)
The RSO ensures the safe use of radioactive materials and radiation machines on the Pullman campus and other WSU sites around the state, and provides necessary services to users of radioactive materials and radiation machines. Learn about required user authorization and required training.

Hazardous Materials Shipping
Materials in each of the nine classes of hazardous substances/dangerous goods have similar properties and shipping requirements. Contact the Office of Research Assurances to determine whether your shipment contains hazardous materials and receive advice on how to proceed.