All employees in the College of Arts and Sciences (faculty, staff, and students) are required to take six WSU basic safety training courses. Speak with your supervisor regarding approved release time to complete training.
WSU Online Safety Training
Log into WSU Skillport and then follow these links:
- Asbestos Awareness (self-guided)
- Back Safety and Injury Prevention
- Emergency and Fire Preparedness
- Office Ergonomics
- Portable Fire Extinguisher Safety
- Slips, Trips, and Falls
Supervisors are required to complete the Safety Orientation Checklist with new employees on their first day.
Employees new to WSU are also required to complete the New Employee Safety Orientation course within six months of their start date.
How to Enroll
- Click on the links above and log in to WSU SkillPort.
- If you do not see the selected course, enter the course title in the search bar.
- For instructor-led courses, if there are no session available, save the course to your personal learning plan or add it to your watchlist.
All available safety courses are also listed under “WSU Safety Courses” in the left-hand column. Click on the drop-down arrow to see the full list.
CAS areas may require special subject-matter training beyond the basic six courses. Every unit must provide supplemental training to faculty, staff and students which addresses safety topics unique to their school, department, or research area, and its specific work environments.
Supervisors are required to provide appropriate safety training in a timely manner for new employees and for current employees assigned new tasks or transferred to new work environments.
Supervisors are required to re-train employees as necessary. For example, refreshing training for lab technicians or correcting observed unsafe behavior.
All supervisors are strongly encouraged to take Supervisor as Safety Manager, an instructor-led class offered through WSU Skillport.