Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities Grants
The College of Arts and Sciences supports research, scholarship, and creative activities by undergraduate students pursing a major in one of the college’s academic units. Proposals at the interface of two or more academic areas or disciplines are encouraged.
Awards of up to $2,000 are available for undergraduate students to support research or creative projects under the guidance of a full-time faculty member during summer 2021 or fall 2021.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 26, 2021, at 5:00 p.m.
How to Apply
The grant application should be five pages in length and include the following information.
Pages 1 and 2:
The student applicant must provide a two-page description of the proposed research/scholarly/creative activity as outlined below. Be sure to include your name and WSU ID number at the top of the first page.
- What is the proposed project? What is your part in it?
- When will the project take place (summer or fall 2021)?
- What is the rationale for this project?
- If this is an ongoing project, what are the results of your pilot studies or previous experiences that support the proposed project?
- Can this project be safely conducted under COVID-19 guidelines?
The sponsoring faculty mentor or mentors must provide a one-page statement of support address the following:
- Do you agree to support and actively supervise the research or creative activity proposed by this undergraduate student?
- Describe activities in which you and the student will work together.
- What matching or additional support will you or your department contribute?
The applicant must provide a one-page resumé that includes but is not limited to:
- First and last name
- WSU ID number
- Mailing addresses: local, permanent, and departmental (as appropriate)
- Telephone numbers: local, permanent, and departmental (as appropriate)
- WSU e-mail address (required)
- Declared major
- Current semester and cumulative GPA
- Anticipated date of graduation
The applicant must provide a one-page budget that details the costs and any matching or additional support that will be provided by the department or individual faculty member. (Living expenses may be included in the costs.)
- The full application must be submitted as a single attached document in a single email to your academic chair or director by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 26, 2021. Visit your academic unit website for directory information or ask your faculty advisor.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously received a CAS undergraduate grant.
- The successful applicants will be required to submit a final report by April 29, 2022. The reports may be in the form of a scholarly paper, or a short, written summary that accompanies a creative product, such as a collection of poetry or a DVD/CD documenting a creative activity. Students with original discoveries, results, or creative products are encouraged to also present their work at venues such as professional meetings, exhibitions, or performances.
- Grant recipients are required to submit an abstract for the 2022 WSU SURCA (Showcase for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities) event, and if the abstract is accepted, create and present a poster explaining their research or project.
- Recipients will be notified by April 21, 2021.
Contact the CAS Grants and Fellowship Support team at email@example.com or 509-335-4581.