Transfer students hit the ground running

National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students. Thriving Through Transfer.To help celebrate National Transfer Student Week, CAS undergraduates Kelly Ngigi (psychology) and Drew Misemer (history) shared their experiences and advice for fellow Cougs with the WSU Office of Undergraduate Education and the WSU Transfer Clearinghouse.

Kelly Ngigi.Kelly Ngigi

Psychology
Highline College (Washington)

At the time of applying to transfer I was looking at five other universities. WSU had the best facilities and ranked the highest in its research work. WSU also offered me the most for scholarships.

I love learning and the process of struggling through concepts until you reach a point of greater understanding. The courses I have enjoyed the most have been the ones that were the most challenging. The reason being is that I was truly interested in the content and I saw the relevance of the course for my future. When your interest in a topic relates to a learning opportunity you must take full advantage regardless of how rigorous the task may seem.

My first semester, I found myself meeting people but struggling to build meaningful relationships. That began to change as I got more involved on campus. The bonds I have cultivated are strong and have made my time here at WSU enjoyable.

My advice for transfer students is to be active participants in their educational journey. To be proactive in seeking out opportunities, meeting new people, managing their time. Transfer students have to hit the ground running when they arrive in August. I encourage all incoming students to research WSU, academic departments, faculty, and student engagement opportunities so that when they arrive they know what to look for and where to find it, this is half the battle. The rest is to stay consistent and committed to the process.

I am an undergraduate research scholar with the Ronald E. McNair Scholars program, and I am a student ambassador with Multicultural Student Services, mentoring incoming transfer students through their transition into the WSU academic and social community. I also work at University Recreation as a membership attendant making sure that patrons get the most out of the many amenities UREC offers.

My favorite thing about WSU and Pullman is introducing me to huckleberries. Ferdinand’s has the best ice cream in the state and the best huckleberry ice cream in all of the Milky Way.

Drew Misemer.Drew Misemer

History
Johnson County CC (Kansas)

WSU got on my radar through a friend who attended school in Oregon and was familiar with WSU. I was looking for an institution offering spring admission, and WSU got back to me within a month after I applied for admission which was great. I was looking forward to going to a school on the West Coast, even though Pullman is a bit away from the coast. I also was looking to attend a Division I (athletics) school because I’m a very passionate sports fan and wanted to experience it at the highest level in college.

The quality of life and friendliness [at WSU] is something that stood out to me right away. Knowing that I would be working while going to school, I also greatly appreciated the opportunities for on-campus employment and hourly wages for students. I moved from a bigger city and I’ve learned to embrace the college-town environment and culture [in Pullman]. Although it did take me some time to adapt to the social scene at WSU, eventually I was able to find my “center” via classmates, attending sporting and other live events, and putting myself out there.

I’ve found there is a lot of merited academic challenge in my courses and the professors are obviously leaders in their content areas. You’re going to be challenged and there will be moments where you will need to rise up to meet course expectations. If I want to get an “A,” I know I will have to put the work in for it. That’s something I’ve come to appreciate.

My academic advisor and the staff at the WSU Transfer Clearinghouse are two primary resources that I have utilized during my time here. I have also explored other degrees and programs, including pre-law.

I’m involved with ZZU CRU and ZZU CORE (student fan groups); Cougs Guys and Gals (WSU athletic ambassador program), and the Daily Evergreen (student newspaper). I’ve also attended volleyball, soccer, baseball, football, basketball games and have so many great memoires from those experiences. Rushing the field after big football wins and experiencing ESPN College GameDay are two highlights of my time here. The Coug, Rico’s, and Rancho Viejo are my favorite spots for food, beverages, and socializing.

My advice to transfer students is to try to make connections with your peers as soon as possible (Alive orientation, Week of Welcome, earlier on in classes). I made some connections with fellow transfers during Alive! Orientation and have also connected with other students from out-of-state. Most of all, push out of your boundaries, don’t be afraid to be uncomfortable and ask questions, and embrace the experiences you are about to have.

Adapted from WSU Transfer Clearinghouse