Seventeen CAS faculty members from 9 academic areas and 3 campuses are among the newest members of the WSU President’s Teaching Academy, the institution’s premier organization dedicated to teaching excellence.
Members “are all committed to delivering outstanding teaching experiences to our students and advancing the practice of great teaching,” said Clif Stratton, chair.
Recruitment chair Cassandra Gulam said, “New members bring a wide diversity of disciplines and experiences to the academy, as well as new energy. We’re excited to welcome them.”
The CAS faculty are:
- Katherine Banks, politics, philosophy, and public affairs, WSU Tri-Cities
- Stephanie Bauman, psychology, WSU Tri-Cities
- Ashley Boyd, English
- Vanessa Cozza, English, WSU Tri-Cities
- Erica Crespi, biological sciences
- Chris Dickey, music
- William Hall, mathematics and statistics
- Amy Heile, English
- Theresa Jordan, history
- Julie Kmec, sociology
- Bala Krishnamoorthy, mathematics and statistics, WSU Vancouver
- Lori Nelson, biological sciences, WSU Tri-Cities
- Janet Peters, psychology, WSU Tri-Cities
- Matt Sutton, history
- Aaron Whelchel, history, WSU Vancouver
- Sarah Whitley, sociology
- Kara Whitman, environment
Business at hand
“With the addition of the new members, the organization can continue to promote professional development related to teaching, and is in a really good position to drive forward all kinds of initiatives articulated in the past few years by the provost, the faculty senate, and the academy itself,” said Stratton.
Such initiatives could include workshops facilitated by Academic Outreach and Innovation (AOI), graduate student workshops, advocacy on behalf of career-track faculty, and advancing teaching pedagogy, he said.
Gulam said that another service the Academy plans to offer is voluntary classroom observations, both within and across disciplines, with the purpose of offering formative feedback to interested faculty.
Stratton noted that new members are eligible to be nominated for upcoming officer and committee appointments in Fall 2020.
Visit the academy’s website for more information on the President’s Teaching Academy and to access the searchable member directory.