Q&A with alumna Michelle McArthur Allman

Michelle McArthur Allman.A high school teacher earlier in her career, Michelle McArthur Allman (’98 English & Secondary Education) currently is the Director of Special Education for the Laurel School District in Laurel, Delaware. Her department serves students from preschool through 12th grade and ages 3 through 21 who have an IEP or a 504 plan, as well as coordinating summer programming for the Extended School Year, 12-Month Services, and Gifted and Talented programs.

How did WSU prepare you for your career?
It was my first real try at “adult responsibility,” but with the support of friends, RAs, classmates, and professors to help along the way. I don’t know what path I would have gone down without all that love and support, and lots of good advice along the way.

What were your favorite classes at WSU & why?
I loved my English literature classes in my last few years. They were small and intimate and I loved debating and diving into discussion with my peers. I always tried to teach my high school students English lit in the same manner.

What’s your favorite Pullman memory?
I taught for the P.E. department. I taught many classes, including weight lifting, aerobics, sports conditioning, and even a power walking class. It was so much fun, plus, it made me exercise daily! I also worked in the weight room. That was such a fun group of people to work with that I never minded going to work!

What advice do you have for current WSU Pullman students?
I remember wanting to just get out of college and start my “real life.” Please enjoy every moment of life at WSU. Go to all the games, all the concerts, all the demonstrations, and enjoy being surrounded by people from all walks of life who all have one thing in common: being a Coug!

Anything else you’d like to mention about your time at WSU ?
I live all the way across the US now, but I’m dying to come visit. But, in the meantime, I rely on some of the best memories from WSU and am so thankful I will forever be a Coug!

Top image: Michelle McArthur Allman

Adapted from WSU Pullman Facebook alumni spotlight feature