Engaging and inspiring WSU Global students

WSU VIsitors Center entrance, with large cement sculpture that spells out "WSU."Nominated by his students, Karl Krotke-Crandall, a WSU Global Campus lecturer in the Department of History, has been honored with the 2021-22 WSU Excellence in Online Teaching Award.

“The flexibility of online learning opens the doors of life-changing higher education to a wide variety of people, diversifying our classrooms in unique ways,” said Krotke-Crandall. “Online students come from around the world and from many social, cultural, and economic backgrounds. They have lived experiences that create a more robust dialogue on complex topics.”

He sees online education as an important way to “level the playing field” and reach students whose work and family obligations make a flexible online learning environment an ideal option for them.

Karl Krotke-Crandall

“I’m honored to be selected, and a little surprised. It can be challenging to know what type of impact I make as an educator,” said Krotke-Crandall. “To see the comments from my students is heartwarming and validates my aims to provide them with an engaging learning environment.”

The award, sponsored by WSU Academic Outreach and Innovation and now in its sixth year, acknowledges Washington State University faculty members teaching Global Campus courses who employ best practices to engage, inspire, support, and show care for students in an online environment. Krotke-Crandall earned his PhD in Russian history from WSU in 2021 and began teaching Global Campus courses that same year. He was one of 40 online instructors nominated for the award.

“I greatly appreciate the recognition by Global Campus and want to express my gratitude to all of my students,” said Krotke-Crandall, who will receive $3,000 in faculty development funds and a trophy in recognition of his selection.

Christie Kittle, lead instructional designer at Academic Outreach and Innovation, led the award committee.

“The nominations that we received [are] clear evidence of the passion and enthusiasm for online learning that so many Global Campus instructors exhibit on a daily basis,” she said. “These instructors make a real, tangible impact on the lives of their students.”

By Jeff Willadsen, WSU Global Campus